Friday, February 15, 2013

These 40 days...

Ash Wednesday sneaked up on me.  I'm not a practicing Catholic, yet there are so many things about the ways my Catholic family celebrates their faith that I am drawn to.  There is much meaning in the walking out of the Catholic faith...The season of Lent is one of those.

I remember the first time I forgot what day it was and mentioned to that person "hey, you've got something on your forehead!"  Only to be completely embarrassed once I realized it was Wednesday, that special Wednesday.  The day to remember that I am mortal, and a time to repent and consider from whence I came.

While I was not able to visit any churches on Wednesday due to work (except my own in the evening), I saw a few people at work with that gray cross on their forehead...that gentle reminder that He is everything and I am nothing.  I realized that the day had sneaked up on me again and suddenly realized I hadn't prepared.  Will I give anything up for Lent this year?  Should I begin something meaningful instead of giving something up?  What would it be, and would it be something truly worth something in my heart, so as to honor Christ's sacrifice, and at the same time keep always at the forefront of my thoughts how much I depend on Him?

A few options ran through my mind, the first one immediately cast down.  To be honest, I knew that one was "the one," but I just didn't want to give that up.  I continued to think about what I could sacrifice that would be meaningful, and while the choices were good, they were not best.  By evening's end, I had decided.  I have given this particular thing up before, with the Lord's help, and my life has never been the same.  I pray that He do an even greater work in me this year.

I read this week online that Biblically, 40 is the number of preparation.  Reference:  Jesus' fast/time of testing,    the number of days that rain poured upon the earth during the great flood, the years spent wandering in the wilderness before arriving at the Promised Land.  I wonder, what will these 40 days prepare me for?  Prepare me to be?  Who will this time prepare me to love, and will I really love them?  I wonder.

11 comments:

Cathy C said...

I know that Krista is no longer here to continue her blog, but I just wanted to say that her witness will live on through her posts here. She was a wonderful neighbor and friend to my sister and her son was a precious child. They will both be missed by many. Thank you, Krista for living your life as an example of Christ. I hope this blog is shared by many and your witness lives on and on.

Anonymous said...

I cried when I read about and baby Z in the Huntsville Al news this week.

Anonymous said...

Krista's words were so beautiful and will be read over and over. She worked so hard at her important position at the hospital and at home with her three beautiful children. She was goodness it its purist form. Both she and her Z will be missed by many. Many in Huntsville will attend the vigil. Z will be missed by many at Mountaingap Elementary. Family and friends are in the worlds prayers.

jan said...

May God be with the family as they raise her children. I pray they will have peace. She seemed to be such an amazing person from her blog post. Such a sweet spirit.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know Krista personally but I wish I could have known her. I pray for her family and friends and all who have been devastated by this tragedy. I pray that there be positive things come out of this tragedy in the lives of many. I pray that many will read Kristas blog and be blessed.

Auntie Sheila said...

My sweet, sweet Krista - as I read this I cried. "What will these 40 days prepare me for?' Little did you realize when you wrote that, that it would prepare you to meet your Maker. Those of us left behind may not have been prepared for you and Zach to leave us so soon and we mourn the loss of you daily. As I write this and think about Good Friday - it speaks to me that just as in when they crucified Jesus, the devil thought he had won. What he didn't realize is that God had the final say and victory! So I believe it will be with your life. The enemy tried to senselessly snuff out the life of you and Zach but you loved Your God and you left that legacy. If just one person comes to know Jesus through this senseless tragedy, it will not have been in vain. You are with the greatest Comforter of all now with your children by your side. Until we meet again in the throne room - save a spot for those who will one day join you! We love you and you will be forever on our hearts until we meet you again...until then, may the Holy Spirit continue to comfort those left behind and may they trust the ONE in whom you hoped and believed in! <3 you

Erica said...

Missing you a lot tonight. Love your heart.

Gexton said...

great post guys keep thegood work like this granite edmonton

Anonymous said...

Krista I love that I can feel your life through your words! You and Zach are in my thoughts daily! Your family misses you both so much. You are such a blessing and through your words you give us such comfort! I love you and Z! Auntie

Anonymous said...

I read her blog as much as I can, trying to get through this tragedy... I know K and Z are watching us, always. Kisses <3

Anonymous said...

I am a friend of emily, she goes to my school. And she is an amazing person, my mom says she’s just like her mom. Emilia resently read this blog and it made her so happy. I’m glad she did this, it’s Emily’s last thing from her mom. Even though she is not here anymore, she will be remembered in many ways, through her kids, and through her legacy. Thank you for reading this, I wish you all a happy day!