Thursday, December 11, 2008

Is something wrong with this picture?

At the corner of my desk right now are a few papers that Z has brought home from Sunday school the last few weeks. I've been saving them because they have some neat ideas on the back of how to continue teaching what he's learned the previous Sunday...but because we've been traveling, I haven't gotten to look at them lately.

So this is the paragraph I just read:
"Remember the story of Jesus' birth by making "babies" in swaddling clothes. Remind your child to wash his or her hands. Open a can of breadstick dough, and have your child pull the breadsticks apart. Help your child wrap a hot dog in each portion of the dough, leaving the top of the hot dog unwrapped as the baby's head. Bake according to the package directions. Say a prayer of thanks with your child, and enjoy the snacks."

Does anyone else see anything weird about this? Maybe it's just the picture of the hotdog/breadstick on the page in front of me, or maybe it's the mental picture of trying to tell my 3 year old (who thinks he knows everything anyway) that we're going to pretend that this hotdog is a baby and the bread is the swaddling clothes.

Then we're going to eat the baby? I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. As I type this, I'm laughing so hard at this ridiculous idea that I keep having to backspace to correct all my typos.

Should I draw a face on the hotdog before I eat it, or would that be going a bit too far? :)

3 comments:

Janet said...

krista,

yes, something is definitely wrong with that picture...how funny! who comes up with these ideas anyway?? baby jesus is now reduced to a hot dog?! oh my, what is this world coming to?!

btw, to you actually read the comments people write to you??

Carry Grace said...

Something is VERY wrong with this picture!

I can't stop laughing.

Anonymous said...

definitely something wrong with trying to teach a child about the Christ with dead processed meat... (at least in my opinion ;)

and maybe your three year old does know everything... wouldn't that be something... he is the son of the Creator of the Universe after all... what crazy thoughts I have!