Monday, November 17, 2008

Something to chew on

Check out this thoughtful post from my sister. Forgetting what is behind...

What a great reminder. I was just thinking about that the other day when I read the passage in Hebrews 11:32-12:3. Paul mentions all those heroes of faith, then says "in light of everything they've done, let us throw off everything that hinders..."

I've been really thinking about what that means for me, throwing off everything that is not Christ or does not point to Him. That is a lot of things for me. I mean, really, how many things in our lives don't glorify Him?

The New Living Translation of the Bible says in Hebrews 12:1 "...Let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sins that so easily trip us up." This makes me think that it's not just sin that hinders our running free for Him; it is other things, the "cares of this life" that choke the Word that is trying to grow in the good soil of our hearts.

Sometimes it's not just bad things that hinder us, but the good things done in a wrong way. Like too much time on the Internet (my biggie), or reading too many novels & not enough of the Bible, or being lazy when we should be productive.

Something I'm dealing with right now is overeating. It's so easy for me to not think about what I'm putting into my body because I'm breastfeeding & starving all the time. I have so many extra calories I can take in because of that, but I'm not choosing the best calories. I felt the Lord gently speak this to me the other day. I mean, not only am I not glorifying Him with my body, a temple of His Spirit, but I could be losing those pregnancy pounds instead of just maintaining my weight.

Then in Hebrews 12:2 Paul says "We do this [running our race with endurance] by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith."

I guess you could call it "food for thought." Ha! I'm feeling rather corny today. (wow, truly didn't mean that pun but it was funny nonetheless!)

1 comment:

Jacque S. said...

feeling kinda "corny"..that is HILARIOUS>>>YOU are so funny and thanks for posting my blog..maybe someone will actually get on mine now!! hahaha:)